Experienced planning official hired by county
December 10, 2013
As part of its plan to address growth demands, Summit County recently hired a new Planning and Zoning Administrator for its Community Development Office. Peter Barnes will fill the vacancy left by Kimber Gabryszak, who left last July.
Barnes, originally from the United Kingdom, is coming back to Summit County after having worked as an independent property consultant in California. Before that, he had been the owner of Peter Barnes Designs in Peoa and Park City for 12 years.
Bringing experience in design, construction and feasibility analyses for product and property development, Barnes has a B.A. and Post-Graduate Diploma in Architecture from the University of Sheffield and a Certificate of Professional Practice from Sheffield. He is also a current member of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
"I’ve come full circle in a couple of phases in my planning career and I think Summit County is the best place to continue my profession," Barnes said in a release from the county. "There are a lot of opportunities here to do creative and innovative planning to ensure this County can thrive in the face of current and expected growth."
Barnes has previous work experience as an Architectural Advisor and Surveyor in Baghdad, Iraq, for the British School of Archaeology and as a Staff Architect for Lane Pettigrew Associates in St. Lucia, West Indies.
Summit County Manager Bob Jasper said to the county that, "Barnes’ experience with several aspects of community planning and development make him an ideal fit for the County. We were very lucky to get him and feel fortunate he agreed to be part of the Summit County planning team."
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s report: Furniture and appliances stolen from Airbnb
- Park City family soliciting donations to help animals in California wildfires
- Summit County Councilor still resistant as county joins roadless rules petition
- Hoytsville incorporation vote ‘not surprising,’ some say
- Summit County opens park-and-ride lot across from Ecker Hill Middle School
- For the Record: What impact would another Winter Olympics have on Park City?
- Developer signals plan to submit new application for controversial Park City event space
- 14-year old Parkite Troy Podmilsak featured in Under Armour commercial
- UPDATED: USOC visits Park City, Salt Lake City as bid race narrows
- Attorney for 17-year-old accused of procuring illegal drugs seeks motion to suppress evidence