Firefighter crews battle several blazes in the area |

Firefighter crews battle several blazes in the area

Glenwild homes evacuated for brush fire

A human-caused brush fire in the Glenwild area on Saturday forced the evacuations of three homes and caused minor injuries to one man.

The Park City Fire District responded to the blaze on Lower Cove Road at approximately 3:30 p.m., according to battalion chief Ray Huntzinger.

The fire started about 15 feet away from one of the homes. The people renting the home tried to put it out, but were unsuccessful, Huntzinger said.

One man, described as middle-aged, sustained burns to his face and stomach. He was treated and released at the scene. No other injuries were reported and no structures were damaged.

Crews had the blaze under control within about 30 minutes and it was completely extinguished within a few hours. Three fire engines and an ambulance were on site.

Deputies with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office assisted with the evacuations.

Residents were allowed back into their homes after the area was cleared. Approximately half an acre was charred.

Huntzinger said the location of the fire and the weather’s cooperation likely prevented any damage to structures.

"The house it started near had pretty good clearances, as far as trees and foliage, and that’s likely what saved the house," Huntzinger said. "But the other homes were threatened and if we wouldn’t have gotten containment on it it could have taken out three homes. If it would have been strong winds, we could still be fighting it."

The cause of the fire is still unknown, although officials suspect stray ashes from a wood-burning stove as the culprit. Huntzinger said a citation probably won’t be issued.

"It’s not likely in this situation," he said. "It was human-caused, but it definitely wasn’t on purpose or intentional."

Huntzinger stressed the importance of removing flammable foliage around homes to significantly reduce the fire risk.

"People should still be conscientious about good clearances around their home, as far as non- flammable bushes and trees," he said. "This situation could have been a lot worse if the clearances wouldn’t have been there and they were minimal at best.

"People just still have to be careful," he said. "We are still in the wildfire season."

North Summit battles train fire

A Union Pacific Railroad train caught on fire Saturday evening in Echo Canyon, according to the North Summit Fire District.

Tyler Rowser, North Summit Fire’s public information officer, said crews from Uinta County and North Summit arrived on scene at around 7:30 p.m. The train came to a stop on the tracks adjacent to Interstate 80 near mile marker 191.

The initial call went to Uinta County dispatch, presumably from a driver on the Interstate, Rowser said.

"The reports were that visible flames were coming from the engine compartment," he said. "We had to contact Union Pacific to stop the train."

Rowser said crews were able to knock the fire down quickly, preventing it from spreading to any additional train cars or surrounding brush. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, although Rowser said with an engine fire "it is always hard to tell."

Rowser did not know if the train resumed operations once cleared, saying it would have been at the discretion of Union Pacific Railroad.

Wheeler Fire contained

A Wasatch County fire that had been burning near Deer Creek Reservoir for a week has been contained.

Kim Osborn, fire information officer with the U.S. Forest Service, said the Wheeler Fire, which broke out on Sept. 7, was declared 100 percent contained Monday at around 7 p.m.

Osborn said a few crew members will continue to monitor the area for the next several days to make sure no more small fires pop up, but added it is unlikely considering the recent rains.

The blaze engulfed 640 acres throughout the course of the week and forced the evacuations of several Cascade Springs campsites.

More than 240 firefighters from multiple jurisdictions responded to the scene, including Summit County Fire Warden Bryce Boyer.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, although officials have said it was human-caused.