Firefighters battle wind and extremely dry conditions in the Uintas
August 9, 2016
According to the U.S. Forest Service, as of Tuesday, Aug. 9, the Box Canyon Fire above Smith Morehouse Reservoir in eastern Summit County, the Box Canyon Fire has grown to 2,468 acres and was 10 percent contained. received continuous 10-15 mph (mile per hour) winds yesterday with gusts up to 20 mph drying up moisture from rain that fell on the fire area Sunday night. Helicopter flights were interrupted by winds briefly early afternoon but were able to resume flights later in the day as winds decreased. Fire behavior increased slightly within the interior of the fire perimeter while firefighters were successful in holding it in place. Fire crews focused on the areas of most concern, the north and west side of the Box Canyon Fire.
Today, more active fire behavior is anticipated due to a cold front moving in bringing stronger southwest wind flow and gusts predicted up to 35 mph. Fire crews will continue working in the north side of the fire and in Smith and Morehouse Creek utilizing the Helitanker as needed and weather permitting, since winds could limit use of helicopters today. The winds should subside by Wednesday and temperatures becoming cooler through Friday with some possible moisture. Fire behavior observed has been low to moderate in intensity. The main focus is still on the northeast and northwest sides of fire area.
An increase of fire traffic around the Incident Command Post at Oakley Town Hall and to and from the Ledgefork campground will continue. Please use caution if traveling in and around this area. Ledgefork Campground and the boat launch at Smith and Morehouse are still closed to the public. For more information on campgrounds and reservations please call the Kamas Ranger District office at (435) 783-4338.
Trending In: Summit County
- Hoytsville incorporation vote ‘not surprising,’ some say
- Sheriff’s report: Furniture and appliances stolen from Airbnb
- Summit County Councilor still resistant as county joins roadless rules petition
- Summit County firefighters arrive in California to help battle deadly blazes
- Court Report: May 13-16, 2017
- 14-year old Parkite Troy Podmilsak featured in Under Armour commercial
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- UPDATED: USOC visits Park City, Salt Lake City as bid race narrows
- For the Record: What impact would another Winter Olympics have on Park City?
- UPDATED: One suspect who led a foot pursuit in Bear Hollow Village arrested