Governor names Rollin Cook as new Head of Corrections
March 29, 2013
Today Governor Gary R. Herbert announced his appointment of Rollin E. Cook as the new executive director of the Department of Corrections. Cook is a retired chief deputy from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a national trainer on administrative best practices for jail administrators.
Summit County Sheriff Dave Edmunds was one of three finalists for the post.
"Whoever the governor puts into his cabinet, he has to have full faith and confidence in them," Edmunds said. "It’s clear that at this particular point that that was not the case with me, and that’s his prerogative."
Applying for the state position was not about leaving Summit County, but about the opportunity the position would provide, he added.
"The opportunity was tantalizing because you have the opportunity to impact in a very profound way on a state-wide basis, public safety. That’s what was so appealing to me, the ability to take it to the next level and be a part of that," he said.
Edmunds said that being the Sheriff of Summit County is a wonderful job, and one that’s he enjoyed for ten years.
Recommended Stories For You
"It’s one I find very stimulating and it’s been a great honor," he said. "I still have a year and a half left in my term and I plan on serving that out. And I would hope that the citizens of Summit County would be grateful that I’m staying."
Edmunds added that if the right job comes along, he would consider it.
"But I’m not actively looking at anything else right now," he said.
Cook is a retired chief deputy from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a national trainer on administrative best practices for jail administrators.
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s report: Furniture and appliances stolen from Airbnb
- Hoytsville incorporation vote ‘not surprising,’ some say
- Summit County Councilor still resistant as county joins roadless rules petition
- Summit County firefighters arrive in California to help battle deadly blazes
- Park City family soliciting donations to help animals in California wildfires
- 14-year old Parkite Troy Podmilsak featured in Under Armour commercial
- For the Record: What impact would another Winter Olympics have on Park City?
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- UPDATED: USOC visits Park City, Salt Lake City as bid race narrows
- Developer signals plan to submit new application for controversial Park City event space