Highway Patrol responds to multiple accidents Friday | ParkRecord.com

Highway Patrol responds to multiple accidents Friday

The Utah Highway Patrol responded to three accidents in the western part of Summit County within a one-hour span Friday morning, resulting in one victim being transported to an area hospital with head injuries.

UHP Officers say weather was likely a contributing factor in two of the accidents.

A man from Coalville was transported to the University of Utah Hospital after suffering head lacerations when he lost control of his vehicle on Interstate 80 near the Kimball Junction exit, according to UHP Trooper Josh Anderson.

The vehicle was traveling westbound on I-80 when he lost control of his Chevy Trailblazer at approximately 8:43 a.m. Friday morning. The SUV hit the cement barrier before crossing both westbound lanes, eventually overturning on its side.

"I think he is going to be OK, but he had some pretty good injuries," Anderson said.

According to Anderson, road conditions were wet and were interspersed with black ice patches. Neither drugs nor alcohol are believed to be a factor.

Recommended Stories For You

"The road was a little wet and it looked like it had frozen," Anderson said.

The family hadn’t been notified as of press time.

More than half an hour later, a man driving a white Chevy pickup truck was traveling on the same portion of I-80 near Kimball Junction when he lost control of his vehicle, striking the cement barrier.

"He was coming around the same curve and hit the barrier and the median," Anderson said.

Road conditions were likely a contributing factor in the second wreck, as well. The driver wasn’t injured and was able to back up onto the shoulder.

About 15 minutes later, a 27-year-old Salt Lake City man suffered a seizure, causing the vehicle he was driving to hit the guardrail near the Jeremy Ranch exit in a one-vehicle accident, according to UHP Trooper Steven Crowe.

"From what I can tell, he didn’t hit the guardrail going that fast," Crowe said. "He kind of cruised along and went into the snow in the median."

The man denied medical attention at the scene and didn’t appear to suffer any serious injuries, Crowe said.

"He actually thought he was going toward Wyoming," Crowe said. "He didn’t know what day of the week it was and he was confused. But that was more related to the seizure."

The man reportedly suffered from a history of seizures and had prescriptions in his possession relating to the medical condition. He was picked up at the scene by a family member.