Hot tub catches fire in Newpark Hotel
November 29, 2017
A fire broke out Wednesday morning on the deck of a third story unit in the Newpark Hotel in Kimball Junction, forcing an evacuation of the hotel and surrounding businesses.
At around 9:15 a.m. on Wednesday, fire crews from the Park City Fire District responded to a report of a hot tub on fire in the Newpark Hotel, according to Battalion Chief Ray Huntzinger. Four fire engines and three ambulances were on the scene as smoke billowed over Maxwell's East Coast Eatery.
The blaze was active and contained to the deck of the hotel unit when crews arrived, Huntzinger said. The hotel's exterior sprinklers kept the fire from entering the building, but crews put additional water on the fire by dragging hoses across the Newpark Plaza.
Huntzinger said hot tub fires are fairly common occurrences and generally attributed to electrical failure.
"You'd be surprised, we have a fair amount of hot tub fires because they are high voltage," he said.
The hotel and businesses located on the first floor were briefly evacuated, Huntzinger said. No injuries were associated with the blaze or nearby structures threatened.
Recommended Stories For You
"We made sure the fire was out and after monitoring the atmosphere in the building for carbon dioxide, we let everyone back in," he said.
The fire was extinguished by 9:30 a.m. and crews were off scene by 10 a.m.
Trending In: Summit County
- Despite snow, Deer Valley and PCMR stick to early-April closing date
- Developer says ‘it’s time’ for a Snyderville Basin retail hub east of U.S. 40
- Vail Resorts chief, who reshaped industry, tapped for Park City speech
- Park City housing plans: oh, the location, or ugh, the location? (w/ video)
- Park City police told of homeless cases, including along Main Street