Infant recovering from seizure |

Infant recovering from seizure

When Christina Coonradt, her husband and their nearly 1-year-old daughter, Cecily, returned to her in-laws in Silver Creek after seeing a movie last month, she noticed Cecily rhythmically flailing her arms.

"We thought it was strange, but didn’t think anything of it until she couldn’t lift her head," Coonradt said. "We then immediately left the house and I didn’t even put shoes on."

As the Coonradts raced toward the hospital, they called 911. Dispatchers instructed the panicked parents to pull over and wait for an ambulance to meet them.

Coonradt said Cecily spent two days at Primary Children’s Hospital and has since almost fully recovered from the ordeal. Cecily suffered from an infection that caused a fever and, eventually, the seizure. Cecily will need to be monitored for seizures until she is roughly six years old.

"She is still a little sleepy, but mostly just her happy, little, fun self," Coonradt said. "Our baby is fine and she is doing great. We on the other hand are having post-traumatic stress and it has taken us several days to really calm down."

Sgt. Ed Wilde, with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office, was the initial first responder to arrive and was recently named the Sheriff’s Office Employee of the Month for June for his efforts that night.

Recommended Stories For You

"It wasn’t just me that day. It was the father, the EMTs and the AirmMed crew," Wilde said, adding he has been overwhelmed and embarrassed by the recognition.

Wilde said he’s "pretty happy to hear" of Cecily’s recovery because he didn’t think she was going to make it. Wilde has four children of his own and said when placed in a situation like that, he immediately reverts back to them.

"It gives you a heightened sense of awareness when you’re dealing with a child," he said. "But again, I want to emphasize that everyone did an outstanding job that night. A lot of things had to come together for that baby to survive."

Coonradt said she couldn’t believe "how above and beyond they went to make sure my husband and I were feeling comfortable and no one forgot about us."

"These emergency professionals must go straight to heaven because I can’t imagine that being a part of your daily job and being so level-headed," she said. "It was the scariest, worst moment of my life, but there were a dozen people there reassuring us and giving us hugs. They were just incredible and I am really in awe that they were so steady and helpful and took good care of our baby."

Life has seemingly returned to normal for the Coonradts, who can now continue planning Cecily’s first birthday, which falls on June 12.

"We were shocked that something this dramatic could happen," Coonradt said. "I was having all these thoughts of is she going to wake up, is she going to be brain-damaged, should we even have planned a first birthday? But here we are and she is doing great. She is just an extraordinary child."