Kamas man charged in Main Street assault | ParkRecord.com

Kamas man charged in Main Street assault

A Kamas man who was involved in a deadly crash last month is facing assault charges from a fight at a Main Street bar less than a week after the accident.

Matthew George Hinkley, 28, of Kamas, has been formally charged with one count of assault, a Class A misdemeanor. A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine upon conviction.

Hinkley is scheduled for an initial appearance in Summit County’s Third District Court Sept. 14 at 8:30 a.m. Matt Bates, Summit County prosecutor, said he doesn’t know whether Hinkley has retained an attorney.

Last month, Hinkley was a passenger in a car driven by Angela Jones, 41, of Kamas. They were traveling along the Mirror Lake Highway when, for an unknown reason, her car left the roadway. Jones died at the scene and Hinkley sustained minor injuries.

Hinkley was not charged or cited because he was not driving, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Randall Richey. Richey said alcohol is suspected as a contributing factor in the crash, but the toxicology reports have not been completed.

In a separate incident, Hinkley was arrested on Aug. 14 outside of O’Shuck’s Bar & Grill on Main Street for fighting with staff members. According to court documents, he punched a 58-year-old Park City resident, knocking out several teeth.

Recommended Stories For You

Phil Kirk, a Park City Police Department captain, said the employee was trying to help others escort Hinkley out of the bar because he appeared extremely intoxicated and was being confrontational with patrons and staff.

As staff members surrounded Hinkley he started swinging and punched the employee in the mouth with a cast he had on his arm from the prior accident.

Park City Police were contacted at approximately 8:57 p.m. and arrived as staff were still actively trying to remove him from the bar. Hinkley then got into a cab, but was located a short distance away, court documents say. He had no shirt on and was covered in blood when he was arrested.

Kirk said the employee drove himself to Park City Medical Center where he was treated for his injuries.

"I think everyone involved that I’ve spoken with, including the victim, is sympathetic to what Mr. Hinkley must be going through with his girlfriend being killed," Bates said. "But that is not an excuse to assault someone. We still have to take the assault seriously and treat it like an assault. Bar staff are trying to do their job and make it a place where everyone can enjoy themselves and patrons at the bar need to respect that regardless of what they are going through."