Marion woman dies in two-vehicle crash on State Road 248
November 20, 2015
A Marion woman was killed and two drivers were transported to area hospitals in critical condition following a two-vehicle crash on State Road 248 earlier this week. One of the drivers, Rebecca M. Thayer, 37, of Marion, is being investigated for driving under the influence.
Brenda K. Wardle, 54, of Marion, died at the scene of the accident. Thayer was transported to the University of Utah in critical condition. Rangel was taken to the Park City Medical Center in critical condition and discharged later that evening. As of Friday at 2:30 p.m., Thayer was listed in fair condition, according to a hospital spokesperson.
Tuesday, at around 7:19 p.m., Thayer and Wardle were heading eastbound on S.R. 248 near mile post 7 in Wasatch County when Thayer swerved to avoid hitting a deer, according to Utah Highway Patrol trooper Jared Cornia. Thayer lost control of her Ford Mustang, entered the westbound lanes of oncoming traffic and Rangel’s Pontiac Grand Prix slammed into the passenger door of the mustang, killing Wardle.
The Utah Highway Patrol is investigating the accident and the State Bureau of Investigation will consider if other charges are applicable, Cornia said. Thayer is being investigated for DUI because drugs were found in the car, Cornia said.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County Council may reconsider Rail Trail study
- Summit County wants a larger role in overseeing Park City’s transit system
- Court report: Francis woman pleads guilty to assault
- Curbside fees for trash collection in Summit County may increase
- Summit in 60 December 8: County Council discusses trash fees, transportation funding
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Park City official worries runaway trucks will eventually kill people
- Francis man arrested after shooting at two roommates, narrowly missing them
- Tom Clyde: A new ski season begins with old legs