Sheriff’s Report |

Sheriff’s Report


The Summit County Sheriff’s Department responded to the following calls from Monday, July 1, to Sunday, July 7.

An unattended death occurred in Kamas on Monday, July 1. An employee of a Kamas non-profit stopped at a home to drop off a meal and discovered a deceased man. The man had been sick for some time and had not seen a doctor. Medical examiners released the body to Olpin-Hoopes Funeral Home.

Deputies were dispatched to a trespassing incident in North Snyderville Basin on Monday, July 1. The suspect, a juvenile female, had given false personal information. She was taken into custody for an outstanding statewide pickup order and charged with criminal trespass and possession of paraphernalia. While en route to juvenile detention, the suspect told the deputy she was going to throw up, at which point the deputy rolled down the window and pulled over. The suspect took off her seatbelt, climbed out the window and started to run. After a foot pursuit, she was additionally charged with escape from custody, obstructing justice, and evading.

While driving home from work, an individual reported that the car was struck with a water balloon. There is no suspect at this time.

Deputies responded to an individual who had been run over by his car in Summit Park on Monday, July 1. The driver had exited his vehicle to assess a light issue and had set the emergency brake. The vehicle began to move and ran over his legs and stopped after hitting a fence and a small tree. The man was taken to Park City Medical Center and suffered only scrapes and bruises.

On Tuesday, July 2, a male individual in Francis reportedly took his own life.

On Tuesday, July 2, a deputy stopped a suspicious vehicle leaving Tanger Outlet. The vehicle had no plates and was occupied by three people, none of whom had driver’s licenses and were all under 16 years old. The driver admitted to taking the vehicle, a Kia Sedona, from his boss without his knowledge, though he could not name his boss or the business he worked for in Heber. User amounts of marijuana and alcohol were found in the vehicle, which was towed to Park City Towing. The three juveniles were taken into custody, referred on various charges and released to their parents.

Four teenage males reported that a vehicle struck their front bumper in the parking lot of a Kamas business on Tuesday, July 2, and fled the scene. The males were unable to get the vehicle’s or driver’s description, or their direction of travel. There were no suspects at the time.

An individual in Coalville reported on Thursday, July 4, that his iPhone was stolen from his vehicle. The windows were open and the doors unlocked. A suspect refused to speak with deputies when they came to the door.

A disorderly conduct call came from a Kimball Junction business on Thursday, July 4, that a 17-year-old male was honking his horn and giving people obscene gestures in the drive-through. When deputies made contact, it was found out that the male had been drinking and refused field sobriety tests. He was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and showed a 0.082 blood-alcohol content. He was released to his mother.

A call of a suicidal female with a gun was reported on Friday, July 5, in Francis. There was a multi-agency response and negotiations with the subject were successful as the gun was handed over without incident. The subject was transported to the University of Utah.

A burglary case occurred at Jeremy Ranch on Friday, July 5, as an individual reported that he had been taking care of his father’s property and some individuals came in through a window and had a party at his house. Some bottles of beer and liquor were scattered among the house, and he believes some were stolen. The man was at his mother’s house when this allegedly occurred.

A male attempted to contact his 59-year-old male friend at a campground in Coalville. After 48 hours with no response he found the man lying face down on the floor of a motor home, deceased.

An individual and her boyfriend were camping near Alexander Lake on Friday, July 5. The female left the camp to go for a hike after an argument. The boyfriend began to search for her after she did not return and went to a Kamas business to call 911. Summit County Search and Rescue was dispatched and found her in good condition. When authorities later made contact with the male, they found that he had consumed alcohol and was an alcohol-restricted driver. When the girlfriend was found, it was determined the male had hit her face during an argument. The male was arrested and booked into jail for driving on an alcohol-restricted license and for domestic violence assault.

On Saturday, July 6, an individual reported an unknown suspect entered his hotel room at Newpark in the afternoon and stole $700 in cash from a suitcase. A beer can was left on the window sill and there was an unlocked balcony door that was slightly ajar.

An individual in Snyderville Basin reported on Saturday, July 6, that after an argument with his 28-year-old intoxicated daughter, the daughter fled the residence, knocking down her mother in the process. When the complainant followed her, she assaulted him. She was taken into custody and booked into jail on two counts of domestic violence assault.

Deputies responded to a fight in progress at North Beach on Echo Reservoir on Saturday, July 6. A male individual was found to have punched one woman in the face, and after striking her more caused her to lose a tooth and sustain injuries to her head, face and back. He reportedly knocked another victim unconscious in a separate fight. He was booked on two counts of aggravated assault.

An individual in Kamas reported that his vehicle and his father’s vehicle were both struck by a black SUV on Saturday, July 6. The Land Rover drifted off the road and hit the man’s car hard enough to move it seven feet, pushing it into his father’s vehicle. People are advised to be on the lookout for a black SUV with extensive front and side damage.

`A recovered stolen pickup truck was found on S.R. 201 on Sunday, July 7, as the vehicle rolled over in a traffic accident and was abandoned. A handgun was recovered in the grass near where the vehicle was recovered and was sent to the state crime lab for processing. The suspect attempted to force his way into a nearby building after wrecking the vehicle. The owner of the pickup truck was informed of its recovery.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User