Solar fees waived
July 8, 2014
The Summit County Council has waived the solar photovoltaic building permit fee through 2016 to encourage county residents to embrace renewable energy and energy efficiency, said Lisa Yoder, the county’s sustainability coordinator.
"We can help move our residents toward solar energy by reducing the cost of solar installations," said Summit County Manager Bob Jasper in a release.
The building permit fee, $388.50, is a so-called "soft cost" that represents two-thirds of the overall installation, Yoder said.
The solar building permit fee waiver comes after a year when the County reduced the fee to only $50, she said. Yoder recommended the waiver in part to align with Park City’s resolution for building department fee waivers on new renewable energy projects through 2016 that was adopted in May.
Yoder hopes the waiver will spur county residents to participate in U Community Solar, a University of Utah-led program that is available to, according to its website:
- all residents of Summit, Salt Lake and Davis Counties
- who own their home
- live in a grid-tiered residence
Participation in U Community Solar is available on a first-come, first-served basis through Oct. 1, 2014.
Recommended Stories For You
Similar to the successful Summit County Solar program in 2013, U Community Solar provides, according to its website:
- a streamlined installation process for members of the community
- a substantial discount on residential solar — about 25 percent for a typical installation, made possible through University facilitation of a supplier discount
- pre-screened installers that are selected by the University based on quality and price
A workshop will be held at the University’s Union Theater at the A. Ray Olpin University Union (200 S. Central Campus Drive, Salt Lake City) on July 17 from 4 to 5:30 p.m., and at the same location and same time on Sept. 10.
Visit http://www.mycommunitysolar.org/ucommunitysolar or call 801-903-4046 (extension 106) to learn more.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County Council may reconsider Rail Trail study
- Summit County wants a larger role in overseeing Park City’s transit system
- Summit County officials have captive audience with state representatives
- Court report: Francis woman pleads guilty to assault
- Curbside fees for trash collection in Summit County may increase
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Francis man arrested after shooting at two roommates, narrowly missing them
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency