Storm stalls cars on Interstate 80
February 19, 2016
Traffic was at a standstill along Interstate 80 on Thursday afternoon for nearly two hours as a fast-moving storm system pushed through the area and caused major delays for drivers traveling to Salt Lake City.
At around 12:30 p.m., several semi-trucks became stalled in the westbound lanes while attempting to travel up Parleys Canyon and ended up blocking Utah Department of Transportation plows from clearing the road, according to Sgt. Jeb Jorgenson, with the Utah Highway Patrol. Jorgenson said there were no accidents or injuries associated with the delays.
The Utah Highway Patrol chose to close the westbound lanes near the Jeremy Ranch exit, causing traffic to back up to Kimball Junction, about a mile away. Jorgenson said eastbound traffic was flowing normally, considering the conditions.
The Utah Department of Transportation traffic cameras showed cars vehicles parked and stalled across several lanes.
"We had to shut down the road so we could get them cleared out," Jorgenson said. "We sent six plows through the area before we were able to reopen it."
According to UDOT’s Twitter account, the westbound lanes reopened around 2 p.m., but traffic continued to move slowly.
Recommended Stories For You
Thursday’s cold front brought wind gusts of up to 60 miles per hour in certain areas and a wintry mix that included rain, sleet, thunder and snow.
The forecast for the next several days shows mostly sunny skies, with temperatures in the upper 30s and low 40s, according to the National Weather Service.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County firefighters arrive in California to help battle deadly blazes
- Hoytsville incorporation vote ‘not surprising,’ some say
- Summit County contributes $500,000 toward preservation of Basin farm
- Park City veterans honored by the University of Utah for their service
- Sheriff’s report: Lost hiker quickly found in eastern Summit County
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- Report shows slowing sales in Park City area as housing costs continue to rise
- Experienced surgeon opens Elevation Plastic Surgery
- 14-year old Parkite Troy Podmilsak featured in Under Armour commercial
- UPDATED: One suspect who led a foot pursuit in Bear Hollow Village arrested