Summit County Fair returns this weekend
Eight-day run kicks off on Saturday
August 1, 2017
Summit County's historic fair, a tradition for more than 50 years, is set to begin its 8-day run this weekend.
The Summit County Fair is scheduled to be held from Saturday, Aug. 5, through Saturday, Aug. 12, at the county fairgrounds in Coalville. The traditional fair will feature a demolition derby, Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association Rodeo, 4-H and home art exhibits, a junior livestock sale, vendors, food and a carnival.
"There are more than 27 individual events that happen during the fair and we get people who come from all over to check it out," said Travis English, Summit County Fair coordinator.
Saturday, the food booths and the Beer, Wine & Spirits Garden are scheduled to open at 5 p.m., followed by the popular Demolition Derby event at 7 p.m. to kick off the weeklong schedule of events. English said tickets to the demolition derby sold out last week. However, he added, tickets are still available for the rodeo.
More than 25,000 are expected to visit the county seat to attend the fair. English said attendees typically hail from Park City, the Salt Lake Valley, Evanston, Wyoming, and as far away as Colorado.
"We have this one family from Colorado that comes every year," English said. "Last year I had someone call me from the Los Angeles airport to tell me that they were coming to the fair. I was like, 'Really?' We get a lot of repeat and new visitors every year."
Recommended Stories For You
This year, visitors can anticipate a schedule change for the Barrels and Broncs event. The Little Buckaroo Rodeo, traditionally held on Tuesday, is now scheduled to be held on Wednesday and Thursday. The Barrels and Broncs event, which includes barrel racing, will be held at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, in the large arena.
English emphasized a need for submissions to the Home Arts exhibits, such as floriculture and horticulture categories. Submissions will only be accepted on Tuesday, Aug. 8. However, each East Side community has a representative who can also submit entries.
A free outdoor movie screening is a new event that will be featured on Tuesday, Aug. 8, English said. The screening, which will be held on the hill behind the Quonset Hut, will feature the 1987 film "The Princess Bride." Before the film, the winner of the Park City Film Series county-wide film contest will have their film shown.
"We are doing that in conjunction with the Summit County Library and the Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District and we are pretty excited to get that partnership going," English said.
The Carnival Midway is returning beginning Wednesday, Aug. 9, and continuing through Saturday, Aug. 12, from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Carnival Midway is a member of the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials and its rides are regularly inspected, English said.
"They do a great job and they are a great family-owned company," he said.
This will be the final year that the county fair is held in its current configuration, English said. Last year, the county purchased a 12-acre property adjacent to the current fairgrounds to nearly double the site. The parcel will again be utilized for overflow parking and camping.
English said on Friday, Aug. 11, renderings of the new community center, which will replace the Quonset Hut, will be revealed. He said the Quonset Hut and the Livestock buildings will be torn down shortly after the fair to make room for four new buildings.
"We are just really excited for this year's fair and to begin making room for our new additions," English said.
The Summit County Fair opening weekend schedule:
Thursday, Aug. 3
- Miss Summit County Scholarship Pageant, North Summit High School Auditorium, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 5
- 5 p.m. Food Booths open
- 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Beer, Wine & Spirits Garden
- 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Live entertainment, entertainment tent
- 7 p.m. Demolition Derby, large arena (sold out)
- 10 p.m. Fireworks
Monday, Aug. 7
- 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. 4H exhibits entered, Quonset Hut
Tuesday, Aug. 8
- 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Home arts exhibits entered, Quonset Hut
- 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. 4H exhibits entered, Quonset Hut
- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Fine arts exhibits entered, fine arts tent
- 5:30 p.m. Youth Archery open fun shoot, fairgrounds
- 6 p.m. Limited food booths open
- 6 p.m. Barrels and Broncs Event, large arena
- 6:30 p.m. Youth Archery competition event, fairgrounds
- Dusk (between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.) – Outdoor movie, behind the Quonset Hut
For more information about the fair and to view the entire schedule, go to http://summitcountyfair.org/index.php.
Trending In: Summit County
- UPDATE: Crews on Friday still searching for missing man near Hidden Lake
- Park City police act after woman asked to leave bar 30 times
- Officials issue alert about possible presence of synthetic drugs in Park City
- South Summit family narrowly escapes fire that destroys Kamas home
- Park City police blotter: More moose sightings