Suspect arrested in Salt Lake City after leading Summit County deputies on pursuit
He was found hiding in the bed of a pickup truck after abandoning his vehicle
May 26, 2017
An 18-year-old man who led Summit County deputies on a high-speed pursuit was taken into custody early Thursday morning after he was found hiding in a pickup truck bed in Salt Lake City, according to the Sheriff's Office.
Charles Caster, of Salt Lake, was arrested and booked into the Summit County Jail on preliminary charges of evading as a third-degree felony, reckless endangerment and numerous traffic offenses.
At about 2 a.m. Thursday, March 25, deputies attempted to stop a black Volkswagen Jetta traveling southbound near State Road 224 and Ute. Boulevard. According to a report, the driver immediately made a U-turn and entered Interstate 80, heading west into Salt Lake County.
The report states Utah Highway Patrol troopers deployed a spike strip near 1300 East, but vehicle re-entered I-80 before exiting onto State Street into oncoming traffic.
Detective Kacey Bates said law enforcement officials, including Summit County deputies, terminated the pursuit on State Street due to safety concerns. Bates said troopers later found the vehicle abandoned and K9 units with the Unified Police Department were deployed in the area.
The suspect and a juvenile were located hiding in the bed of a pickup truck and were taken into custody. Bates said the juvenile will not face any criminal charges.
Recommended Stories For You
"It's unfortunate because individuals who are failing to stop for police officers are ultimately putting the rest of the public in jeopardy and compromising the safety of everyone involved," Bates said.
– Angelique McNaughton
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County contributes $500,000 toward preservation of Basin farm
- Park City veterans honored by the University of Utah for their service
- Election Day voters in Summit County upset ballots weren’t counted on Tuesday
- UPDATED: Summit County Councilor re-elected over write-in candidate
- Court Report: Park City man enters guilty plea to assault on a peace officer or military service member
- Report shows slowing sales in Park City area as housing costs continue to rise
- U.S. Ski and Snowboard seeks hundreds to volunteer for largest ski competition in Park City since Olympics
- Experienced surgeon opens Elevation Plastic Surgery
- UPDATED: One suspect who led a foot pursuit in Bear Hollow Village arrested
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch