Three-car accident on U.S. 40
July 7, 2015
A 53-year-old man from Oakley has been cited for following too closely after he caused a three-car accident on U.S. 40 Monday when his truck and trailer slammed into the back of a car, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
A 57-year old woman was taken to the University of Utah in an ambulance with non-life threatening injuries after she complained of neck and shoulder pain, according to Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Randall Richey. No other injuries were reported.
The accident happened near the Silver Creek exit below the Interstate 80 overpass, which was closed for repavement Monday and Tuesday. The I-80 closure forced eastbound U.S. 40 traffic to go through the Silver Creek exit stoplight to enter onto eastbound I-80. Richey said it was causing a backup in the area.
At approximately 2 p.m., the man was traveling eastbound in a Dodge truck, pulling a trailer full of mulch, when he encountered traffic at a standstill. He wasn’t able to stop and ended up slamming into the back of a GMC Sonoma causing it to rear-end a Toyota Highlander. The Highlander hit the inside concrete barrier, which forced the Sonoma to roll over onto its roof. A woman inside the Sonoma was transported to the hospital.
A Utah Highway Patrol trooper estimated the man’s speed to be approximately 45 miles per hour upon impact, Richey said.
The accident reduced traffic to one lane on eastbound U.S. 40 and it was backed up for two miles for more than an hour.
Trending In: Summit County
- Summit County Council may reconsider Rail Trail study
- Summit County wants a larger role in overseeing Park City’s transit system
- Summit County officials have captive audience with state representatives
- Court report: Francis woman pleads guilty to assault
- Curbside fees for trash collection in Summit County may increase
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Francis man arrested after shooting at two roommates, narrowly missing them
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency