Timberline home destroyed in gas explosion
A man and his younger son narrowly escaped a gas explosion that destroyed their home in a Snyderville Basin-area neighborhood early Wednesday morning.
According to Park City Fire District Chief Paul Hewitt, the man was treated and released at the scene after sustaining minor burns to his face. His son, described as younger than 10, was not injured.
Hewitt said the 3,000-square-foot two-level home, located on North Cedar Way in the Timberline neighborhood, is a total loss. No nearby structures were threatened or damaged, however, one other home was evacuated due to the smoke.
At around 7:30 a.m., nearly 20 firefighters and three fire engines from the Park City Fire District responded to the home after the man reported the blast. Hewitt said a neighbor reported it rattled his home.
The man was melting ice in his driveway with a propane-fueled torch when it exploded. Several small explosions quickly followed, which Hewitt said may have been from ammunition stored inside the home.
The structure was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived and they immediately went on the defensive, Hewitt said. The fire was contained within about 30 minutes.
Hewitt cautioned about the risk associated with the use of portable propane-fueled heaters, especially in enclosed spaces.
"People need to be extremely careful when using propane-fueled heaters," Hewitt said. "They need to make sure connections are tight and that there are no leakages. They should also be used in an open area and to the manufacturers’ specifications."
Hewitt also mentioned the importance of storing ammunition in secure cases.
"If you have ammunition, make sure it is stored in a steal container or something secure because it makes the job of firefighters much safer if we have to go in there," Hewitt said.
A full investigation into the fire has been conducted with the Utah State Fire Marshall, according to Casey Vorwaller, a spokesperson with the Park City Fire District. Vorwaller said the investigation revealed the hose connecting the torch to the propane tank was leaking.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family. According to the page, "Jeff Hatch, Brenna Long and son, Arlo, and their dog are all OK." As of Friday, more than $21,000 had been raised by nearly 200 donors.
Visit https://www.gofundme.com/tp6wy3f8 to donate.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
$1 million in CARES Act funding has been set aside for Summit County nonprofits, and the Park City Community Foundation is working to organize the fund and how to choose recipients. The goal is to start accepting applications Oct. 14.