Two die in separate accidents over the weekend
Semitruck driver rear-ends vehicle while using his phone
May 30, 2017
A 47-year-old woman traveling with her husband on separate motorcycles died on Sunday after crossing into oncoming traffic 14 miles east of Woodland in Summit County, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
At around 3:58 p.m. Sunday, May 28, Claire Benson, of Pleasant Grove, reportedly failed to negotiate a curve on State Road 35 near mile marker 18 and crossed over into oncoming traffic, striking a 2016 Dodge truck head on.
Benson, who was wearing a helmet and other protective gear, died on impact, a report states. The driver of the truck sustained minor injuries from the air bag.
The motorcycle, described as a 2012 Ducati, erupted into flames, causing the law enforcement officials to intermittently close the road for nearly an hour, the report states.
According to the Utah Highway Patrol, witnesses reported both motorcycles were traveling at a very high rate of speed, which is being investigated as a contributing factor in the crash.
Driver distracted by his phone
Recommended Stories For You
A Kenworth semitruck driver rear-ended a slower moving vehicle on U.S. 40 on Saturday while using his phone, killing a 41-year-old man from Duschesne and critically injuring the driver, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
At 12:10 a.m. Saturday, May 27, a semitruck hauling double tankers was traveling westbound on U.S. 40 near mile marker 6 when it rear-ended a slower moving 1998 Saturn passenger vehicle, a report states. The vehicle reportedly spun into the left lane of travel before coming to a rest.
Landon B. Peatross was transported to Park City Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after arriving, according to a report. The driver, a 40-year-old woman from West Jordan, was transported in a medical helicopter to the University of Utah Hospital in critical condition.
The case is currently under investigation and it is unclear what charges the driver of the semi may face.
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s report: Furniture and appliances stolen from Airbnb
- Hoytsville incorporation vote ‘not surprising,’ some say
- Summit County Councilor still resistant as county joins roadless rules petition
- Summit County firefighters arrive in California to help battle deadly blazes
- Park City family soliciting donations to help animals in California wildfires
- 14-year old Parkite Troy Podmilsak featured in Under Armour commercial
- New four-season resort to open on Blue Sky Ranch
- For the Record: What impact would another Winter Olympics have on Park City?
- UPDATED: USOC visits Park City, Salt Lake City as bid race narrows
- Developer signals plan to submit new application for controversial Park City event space