Wanship skier missing since Sunday
February 2, 2016
Summit County Search and Rescue crews, assisted by Park City ski patrol, continued their search Tuesday morning in the backcountry of Canyons Village at Park City Mountain Resort for a missing skier.
Detective Kacey Bates described Jones, 50, of Wanship, as a "very experienced and knowledgeable" skier. Jones left his home Sunday morning wearing appropriate clothing and while he has an avalanche beacon, it is unclear if he had it with him at the time.
A family member reported him missing at around 9 p.m. Sunday evening, Bates said. His vehicle was located in the Cabriolet parking lot of Canyons Village.
Searchers have been concentrating on an area in the backcountry where Jones’ cell phone is known to have last pinged. The search was suspended Monday night due to weather conditions and resumed early Tuesday with the assistance of air support.
"We were unable to do a lot of that beacon search yesterday," Bates said. "And right now we are not asking for any volunteers to be in the area or the backcountry because there are some snow concerns and with multiple people in the area with beacons it could contaminate it. WE ask that all volunteers wait until they have been requested to come."
Canyons Village has closed the Ninety-Nine 90 gate to limit the number of people and beacons during the search, Bates said.
Recommended Stories For You
Jones has been described as 5’10, approximately 200 pounds and in good health condition.
Trending In: Summit County
- Sheriff’s report: Deputies respond to five suspected cases of domestic violence
- Owner of Karaoke Cab sentenced, still maintains innocence
- Woodward Park City slated for Gorgoza Park
- Hoyt’s Peak mine history full of intrigue
- Hotel project at former Colby School property back before the Summit County Council
- Park City begins to outline major Park Avenue roadwork
- Tom Clyde: The beef over the McPolin Farm cattle misses the point
- California man pleads guilty to human trafficking charge in Summit County
- For the Record: Do you agree with the Park City Board of Education’s decision?
- Park City attorney, skier husband arrested as hunting equipment taken