West Valley suspect arrested in string of Summit County burglaries
November 1, 2016
The Summit County Sheriff's Office arrested a West Valley man on Friday in connection with a string of burglaries and car thefts in Summit County and the Salt Lake area.
Ronnie Wakefield, who is 34 years old, has been preliminarily charged with two counts of automobile burglary, possession of methamphetamine and paraphernalia, possession of burglary tools, unlawful possession of another person's identification and financial card, and unlawful use of another person's financial card.
According to a report, a woman contacted dispatch after her cell phone was stolen from a business in the Kimball Junction area. She tracked her phone using the Find My Phone application and provided deputies with a description of the suspects and their vehicle.
Deputies stopped the vehicle while it was traveling on Interstate 80 and found the cell phone, along with several other items that had been reported stolen earlier in in the day, including a wallet and an iPod. Three suspects, including Wakefield, were arrested and preliminarily charged with theft.
During the investigation, deputies determined Wakefield had used one of the stolen credit cards at a gas station in the Kimball Junction area.
Detective Kacey Bates said the Sheriff's Office is investigating whether Wakefield is also connected to other crimes in Summit County and Salt Lake.
Recommended Stories For You
"At this time, it is really hard to say whether his case is linked to others, though we think some are connected," Bates said. "Once we gather all of our information it will be easier to make that determination."
– Angelique McNaughton
Trending In: Summit County
- Jeremy Ranch homeowners sue Summit County over use of entry gate
- Park City man sentenced for threatening to kill Summit County Sheriff’s detective
- Mountain Town News: ‘Megafire’ worries in the Rockies, the world’s oldest heli-skier and a new film festival
- Court Report: Heber City man pleads guilty to attempted aggravated assault
- Summit County Children’s Justice Center panel to audience: Child abuse is a ‘community issue’
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd
- Removal of dining club licenses shakes up Park City establishments
- St. Regis Big Stars, Bright Nights concert series lands new home
- Female players break the mold for Park City High School baseball
- Business briefs: PCMR director joins Snowbasin Resort