Swap shopping set for this weekend
It seems that in a recreational town like Park City, the kick-off to the each season is marked by a swap.
In the winter it’s the ski swap, and summer is just around corner after the annual Young Riders Bike Swap.
The community event, which will be held this weekend, May 5-6, across the street from White Pine Touring, allows Parkites to turn in their old bike and look for a better model, all while benefiting the Young Riders, a youth competitive and recreational mountain biking program. According to Young Riders director Tom Noaker, the essence of a swap is that everyone wins. The seller keeps 80 percent of the total sale, the buyer leaves with a bike and the Young Riders get the remaining 20 percent. Just that small portion allows the team to cover a large part of their operating budget and keep participation fees lows. The swap features both mountain and road bikes for adults and children as well as bike accessories.
Noaker says he loves that swap allows the team do raise enough money for the year doing what they know best bikes, rather than dressing up for a party or staging an entertaining event.
"We think that works for everyone," Noaker said.
Pushing the product
Those selling their bikes have two days to get their product into the swap. With the aid of parents, kids, coaches and board members, sellers may enter their bikes and decide their selling price.
Noaker says that bike sellers who actually want to make some money, need to price their bikes to sell. That means setting a reasonable starting price and even a lower one if the bike is still around on Sunday.
"You don’t want to have to pick your bike up on Sunday," Noaker said. "You don’t want your bike to sit around until next year."
Most of the volunteers at the swap will be busy just trying to manage the chaos and can’t act as salesmen. If bikes are priced appropriately, Noaker says they will sell even if nobody is peddling the product.
The bike should also be in good condition.
"If you can’t ride it through the front door, don’t bother," said Noaker laughing.
Noaker says bikes that don’t sell are donated to The Bicycle Collective, a Salt Lake-based charity that refurbishes used bicycles and suggests people donate truly outdated or broken there directly. Bikes suitable for the swap must be relatively new, reliable and safe. The same is applicable to bike parts and accessories no broken items will be accepted.
Noaker also asks that sellers arrive promptly during the drop-off times prior to the swap.
Noaker says the best way to find a quality bike at the swap is to come early, come early, come early.
Last year, the swap featured about 360 bikes and the 250 went in the first four hours. Noaker says that people line up before the doors open just waiting to get their hands on the best bikes in the swap.
"If you’re not here in the morning, you are not going to get a good selection," Noaker warns.
Buyers should also come prepared. Noaker suggests deciding on a price point and bike type prior to arriving at the swap. People should also know what they will be using the bike for — is it for weekend recreation or is it a competitive racing bike?
Knowing all of these things beforehand is very important Noaker says.
"We have all different levels of product," Noaker said. "You’ll find something to fit your needs."
Young Riders volunteers will be on hand to help with customer service, but due to the large volume of shoppers, it I simportant to know what size and what kind of bike you are after.. Volunteers will help buyers make sure the bike is reasonably priced and in feasible working order.
Noaker says that in general, he sees many good deals go out the door, and feels that just about anyone can find what they are looking for at the event.
Much like ski swaps, the bikes will be separated according to category and age to keep the process streamlined. Noaker says typically mountain and kids bikes outnumber adult bikes, but many good road bikes are still to be found.
Sellers may ride their bikes off the lot or bring an appropriate vehicle in which to load them.
The swap will be held Saturday, May 5 from 9 a.m. -5 p.m. and May 6 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The swap will be held in the lot across from White Pine Touring, located on 1790 Bonanza Drive.
Bikes may be dropped off for the sale on Thursday, May 3 from 3-8 p.m. and Friday, May 4 from 3-8 p.m. Proceeds go to the Young Riders general fund, which covers coaching wages, insurance, transportation and entry fees and helps to keep program costs down. For more details, visit the Young Riders Web site at http://www.youngriders.com .
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
Vail Resorts has entered into a definitive merger agreement to acquire 100 percent of the outstanding stock of Peak Resorts. Through the acquisition, Vail Resorts will add 17 U.S. ski areas to its network of resorts.