Two hospitalized after chemical exposure at Park City Mountain Resort’s Red Pine Lodge | ParkRecord.com

Two hospitalized after chemical exposure at Park City Mountain Resort’s Red Pine Lodge

Two people were burned, with one sustaining eye damage, after an accident with a cleaning chemical at Park City Mountain Resort’s Red Pine Lodge in Canyons Village Monday morning, authorities said.

Both were transported to the burn unit at the University of Utah, one in an ambulance and the other via medical helicopter, said Tricia Hurd Hazelrigg, a spokesperson for the Park City Fire District.

A cleaning worker poured water into a bottle of drain cleaner, Hazelrigg said, causing it to rupture, injuring the two people who were closest. She reported that the two victims, both cleaning workers, experienced respiratory distress in addition to burns, including to the eyes of one victim and the torso and arm of the other.

Information started coming in about the incident around 10:15 a.m., Hazelrigg said, and PCFD dispatched two engines, a hazmat unit and two ambulances to the scene. The district’s first responder was a motorcycle-based medical unit, joining Park City Mountain Resort ski patrollers, who were the first on the scene. Red Pine Lodge is located mid-mountain on the Canyons Village side of PCMR.

Once the patients were treated and transported from the scene, crews went in to mitigate the chemical spill, Hazelrigg said. She estimated the cleanup work was completed around 11:45 a.m.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.