Wildcats’ soccer wins quarterfinal | ParkRecord.com

Wildcats’ soccer wins quarterfinal

The South Summit High School boys’ soccer team beat Millard 5-1 on Saturday to advance to the semifinals at Jordan High School on Friday, May 7, at 6:30 p.m. They will face regional rival Waterford for a chance to play in the 2A championship on Saturday, May 8, at 1:30 p.m. at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy. In their only meeting of the year, Waterford defeated South Summit 3-2 in overtime on a penalty kick.

Saturday’s quarterfinal game started out in blizzard-like conditions, with neither team able to get much offense going. Finally, at the 15-minute mark, Levi Thompson scored on a Casey Roper pass to put the Wildcats up 1-0.

Millard came right back and scored to make it 1-1, before Mason Brown took a pass from Trevor Rydalch and scored to give the Wildcats a 2-1 halftime lead.

The weather improved for the second half, and SSHS dominated both ends of the field. Thompson scored two more goals, and Brandon Nagle added a goal.

"We started out slow in the first half, but in the second half, our midfielders and defense started controlling the middle of the field, and we just kept putting the pressure on," said first-year head coach Chris Burton. "Millard was a very physical team, but our team stepped it up in the second half."

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.

Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.

Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User