Woman escapes house fire
A renter in the Snyderville Basin was lucky to survive a house fire in ParkWest Village that caused about $20,000 in damage, firefighters said.
The electrical fire started near the ceiling in the kitchen at 1572 Village Round Road, Assistant Park City Fire Chief Bob Zanetti said.
"She heard a light bulb pop in her kitchen (Monday night) and shortly after that she lost power to her computer and her dishwasher and a couple other things," Zanetti said. "She took an extinguisher and fired it up there and went to bed."
The fire smoldered in insulation until the woman called 911 Tuesday at about 7 a.m.
"The thing was burning all night long," Zanetti said. "She was very lucky."
The ceiling was discolored and the woman said she could smell smoke when she awoke.
"The fire had burned above the kitchen and the guys went in and tore down the sheetrock and the fire was up above there," Zanetti explained, adding that about 14 firefighters battled the blaze. "It had to ventilate through the roof."
The fire burned electrical wiring in the house.
"If you ever have an unknown or you smell smoke go ahead and call 911," Zanetti said. "That’s the lesson to be learned."
The woman was the only one inside the home at the time of the fire.
"The occupant was outside when the first unit arrived. She advised us that the fire was inside the ceiling above the kitchen," Zanetti said, adding the she was not injured at the scene. "We did some salvage and overhaul for her protection She was realizing what the consequences could have been, sleeping at night."
Two engines, a fire truck and ambulance responded and light smoke was coming from the exterior of the home, Zanetti said. "It was just starting to burn through the roof."
The blaze was contained within 15 minutes, he said, adding that firefighters were on scene about 45 minutes.
"No smoke detectors were activated," Zanetti said.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Park City and Summit County make the Park Record's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Park City readies gathering about contaminated soils amid continued worries about health, environment
Park City next week has scheduled an informational event centered on the municipal government’s controversial efforts to develop a facility to store soils contaminated during Park City’s silver-mining era.