Young Riders ready for annual bike swap |

Young Riders ready for annual bike swap

Adia Waldburger, of the Record staff

The losses in the economy may mean big gains at the annual Young Riders’ Bike Swap this Saturday, May 2 and Sunday, May 3.

The opportunity for deals on hundreds of used bikes could bring cycling enthusiasts from all over the community and beyond.

According to race team director Tom Noaker, who also works in the cycling industry, this year is definitely all about the deal.

"If they are really good deals those bikes are selling," he said. "People are looking for bargains."

And bargains are the Young Riders’ specialty. Each year, the swap has grown and now offers an array of used biked, closeouts and retired rentals to the public. Noaker said that the swap will have bikes for all ages and all interests. In past years, everything from aerodynamic tri-bikes to downhill bikes to the more common road and mountain bikes have been available.

Noaker said that the deals should be especially good for kids. Since most kids grow quickly out of their bikes, most bikes that come in for sale at the swap are still in good condition. The Young Riders also pride themselves on selling the bikes at very reasonable prices.

Recommended Stories For You

"We’ve always had smoking deals," he said.

The state of the economy may also bring in more inventory. Noaker said selling a good quality bike can bring a seller a quick couple of hundred of dollars towards a new bike. That’s much-needed cash for many people when times are tight.

Noaker recommends coming on the first day of the swap for the best deals. This has always been true, but this year especially. Besides more people looking for bargains, Noaker said that they have promoted the swap all over the Wasatch Front and expect a fair number of cyclists to head up from the Salt Lake Valley.

Utilizing the swap is also a way to help out the youth participants in Young Riders. The self-sustaining program has not raised its fees in three years. Noaker said that he hopes people think about that as they buy.

"That’s why I coach," he said. "I feel like I make a bigger difference with the kids."

Luckily, the economy hasn’t hit the Young Riders too much. They managed to sustain all of their title sponsors and donors this year and hope to do well with the swap. The money goes towards the two-faceted Young Riders program, which includes a recreational team and a race team. The recreational team encompasses beginner programs, camps, and the Devo/Learn-to-Race program that has been revived after a three-year hiatus.

The swap will be staffed by volunteers, parents and coaches involved with the team, who can help attendees sift through the merchandise. Noaker suggests participants know the style of bike and price point before coming to the swap to ensure that they walk out of the door happy. As for the seller — price the bike to sell. That means setting a reasonable starting price and lowering it if the bike is still around on Sunday. Volunteers can help with pricing. The seller keeps 80 percent of the total sale price, the buyer leaves with a bike and the Young Riders get the remaining 20 percent.

Noaker stressed that the bikes must be in working order. The Young Riders will be screening the bikes more thoroughly this year.

"No junk," said Noaker.

Bikes that don’t sell and aren’t picked up after the swap will be donated to The Bicycle Collective, a Salt Lake-based charity that refurbishes used bicycles. If people do have bikes of the "junkier" variety, then Noaker suggests taking them to the Bicycle Collective directly.

The Young Riders will begin their race season next week with a training race at Soldier Hollow on May 5 at 6 p.m. followed by an Intermountain Cup Series Race on May 16 also at Soldier Hollow. The team will then compete every weekend until August. For more information on the race team or any of the recreational programs and camps, visit

The Young Riders’ Bike Swap will be held May 2 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday May 3 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at The Yard, 1251 Kearns Blvd. Drop off bikes for sale on Thursday, April 30, and Friday, May 1, from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at The Yard.