Letters to the Editor, March 5-8, 2016
March 4, 2016
PCSD: Don’t try to fix what is not broken
Which is better? You decide. Shall we eliminate a "reading assistance" program that is currently in place and is tracking as a huge success, as seen by the improvement and confidence in our actual students of many grade levels?
Our current program is being supported by 40 unpaid volunteers, some with teaching credentials and a plethora of experience in the educational system. Our current program in Jeremy Elementary School /JLS, is headed up by Barbara Bach, who has spent an endless and huge effort to obtain these qualified volunteers that provide weekly one on one time with students from first grade to fifth grade.
I would like to invite everyone to visit JLS and see the photos of all these students with their volunteers. This says it all and is very impressive. Or is it better to replace our current successful program with one paid employee that will assist in kindergarten. This new program is being presented to us as a complete replacement to what is currently working now.
With 11 years as a volunteer tutor at JLS, I do not understand how this new program can replace 40 trained volunteers. Do you?
Recommended Stories For You
How much are we willing to risk on this new program at the perspective detriment of our children? You decide.
If you agree with my thoughts, I encourage you to speak up. One voice can be a whisper. Many voices can move mountains!
Trending In: Opinion
- For the Record: Should the ski resorts extend their seasons?
- Record editorial: Visit from Vail Resorts CEO is chance for Parkites to broach critical topics
- Letters: Donate whatever you can to save a part of Park City’s heritage
- Guest editorial: Goal of saving Osguthorpe Farm is worthy of everyone’s support
- Teri Orr: My favorite person
- Despite snow, Deer Valley and PCMR stick to early-April closing date
- Developer says ‘it’s time’ for a Snyderville Basin retail hub east of U.S. 40
- Park City housing plans: oh, the location, or ugh, the location? (w/ video)
- Deer Valley, City Hall suddenly thrust into parking dispute
- Vail Resorts chief, who reshaped industry, tapped for Park City speech