Letters to the Editor
May 31, 2006
Here is a modest proposal to help boost the critically underfunded schools in Utah and, particularly, those in the Park City School District, which is obviously suffering mightily.
Since the entire product of the Utah State Income Tax goes to pubic education, I suggest that when a child is enrolled in the public education system, the parents of that child lose their Utah State Tax exemption for that child.
Similarly, any person that enrolled a student in a private school would be able to retain their tax deduction for that student. This would eliminate the whole argument about "vouchers" and bring an element of choice into the education system.
Thomas L. Hurd
Recommended Stories For You
Dogs on the loose
Dog gone it, if dogs are running loose without the owner, due to a break out, well, that is an "oops," but if you see the same dogs all the time on the loose then their owners need to be reprimanded. They should be fined with community service picking up poop, because if the dog is without its owner you know the poop is not being picked up. Let the fine fit the crime.
Responses to changing school calendar
I am a seventh grade student that just moved here last June. I don’t think that choosing a new schedule is necessary.
I like the schedule just the way it is because most of the summer is school free.
The air conditioning would be a nightmare in the hot months
I along with many other students in my grade couldn’t focus while the weather outside is so inviting.
My name is KT O’Conor and I am a seventh grade student at Ecker Hill International Middle School. I am writing about the proposed school calendars. I prefer option C (school begins Aug. 20 and ends June 6).
This is best because it is what we are used to. Also, with option A (school begins Aug. 6 and closes May 23), it will be near boiling in the classrooms. Last, I know I’m not the only one who has plans for sports and family vacations that happen every August. We wouldn’t be able to do these fun things if school started this early. Thank you for considering my opinion.
I am a student at Ecker Hill Middle School. I think the calendar for 2007 should be option A, where you start Aug. 6 and end May 23. I think it should be this because you get out earlier. You don’t need to worry about June being winter or summer. Plus, you still have the time off you would have, but you just start a little earlier.
I heard about the change on the school calendar, and I think that we should do option A because we get out of school earlier, and we could take away some Mondays we have off. Just a thought.
I am writing about the new school calendar that is being suggested to the community. I am a student from Ecker Hill Middle School. And I think that we should choose option C. These are my reasons:
1. The school has been on this schedule for many years, at least as long as I can remember.
2. In Option A, we get out on May 23 and sometimes there is still snow on the ground and what is the point of summer vacation when you are trudging through snow in a bathing suit and flip-flops just so you can have a water fight NOT FUN!
3. Many people start their sports in August and in Option A kids would be either missing school or having to miss their sports life.
So, in conclusion, I would like to have you consider my letter.
Trending In: Letters
- Park City finds snowmobilers, vandals cause trouble in Bonanza Flat
- Moose falls through basement window well, into Pinebrook home (w/video)
- Tom Clyde: Parking lot culture
- Utah breweries opposed to bill to allow full-strength beer in grocery stores
- Athletes: Slopestyle course was not up to World Championships quality