Record editorial: Live PC Give PC provides a dose of optimism to Parkites
November 7, 2018
It's been a depressing few weeks for people who follow the national news. That's after a depressing few months amid a depressing few years.
The steady drip of bleak headlines, exacerbated recently by the partisan rhetoric surrounding the midterm elections, can sometimes make it difficult to maintain a sense of optimism.
Fortunately for Parkites, a surefire remedy to the bad-news blues is approaching. On Friday, Live PC Give PC will unite us once again in a spirit of philanthropy. We'll be reminded that, whatever is going on elsewhere in the world, we live in a community where good things happen because good people make it so.
It will be an awe-inspiring sight, as it is every year. For 24 hours, Parkites will generously give from their own pockets to dozens of nonprofits that benefit the community. Residents would be missing out if they don't get in on the action.
There's certainly no shortage of organizations to support. More than 110 of them are participating this year, giving Parkites a chance to send their money to ones that align with their interests. Passionate about sports? There's a nonprofit — or several of them, to be more accurate — for that. Interested in the arts? Not a problem at all. Want to help underserved children? Live PC Give PC has you covered there, too.
Saying there's a nonprofit for everybody is not a stretch.
Recommended Stories For You
That's a good thing because the Park City Community Foundation, which puts on Live PC Give PC, will need everybody to join in to meet this year's goal for the event. In the past, organizers aimed to hit a total dollar figure — $2 million last year, for instance. They've altered the approach this time, though, instead basing the overall success of the 24-hour donation drive on the number of individual donors who participate.
The mark they've set for Friday is 4,500 donors. It's a small but meaningful tweak that lends credence to the idea that Parkites don't have to write a check with multiple zeroes to make a difference. People, in fact, can make donations as small as $5. Every bit, as the cliche goes, helps.
Those who pitch in will wake up Saturday morning feeling good about being one of thousands of residents banding together to make Park City a wonderful community. And we'll all have plenty of reason for optimism about the place we live, regardless of what headlines are dominating the national news.
For more information about Live PC Give PC, or to donate, go to livepcgivepc.org.
Trending In: Opinion
- For the Record: Should the ski resorts extend their seasons?
- Record editorial: Visit from Vail Resorts CEO is chance for Parkites to broach critical topics
- Letters: Donate whatever you can to save a part of Park City’s heritage
- Guest editorial: Goal of saving Osguthorpe Farm is worthy of everyone’s support
- Teri Orr: My favorite person
- Despite snow, Deer Valley and PCMR stick to early-April closing date
- Developer says ‘it’s time’ for a Snyderville Basin retail hub east of U.S. 40
- Park City housing plans: oh, the location, or ugh, the location? (w/ video)
- Deer Valley, City Hall suddenly thrust into parking dispute
- Vail Resorts chief, who reshaped industry, tapped for Park City speech