2017 fencing titles come to SLC
November 6, 2015
In 2017, the world’s largest fencing tournament will be held in Salt Lake City, with more than 4,000 athletes competing in the USA Fencing National Championships and July Challenge.
USA Fencing’s premier tournament will be held July 1-10 in the city that welcomed the world to the United States for the 2002 Olympic Games.
"Salt Lake City has a long-standing tradition of being an outstanding destination city for sporting events and we are looking forward to working with our partners at the Utah Sports Commission as we prepare to showcase the best fencers in the country," said USA Fencing Director of Operations Christine Strong-Simmons (Colorado Springs). "As we look ahead to the 2020 Olympic Games, nearly all of our World and Olympic medalists in the past few decades once competed at the USA Fencing National Championships. For fencing fans, as well as those who’ve never seen the sport, watching the action live is an experience not to be missed."
Competition will take place at the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Palace Convention Center with athletes ranging in age from eight to over 80 dueling for gold in more than 80 events.
More than 10,000 fencers, coaches and fans are expected to pack the Salt Palace for a tournament that is expected to generate more than $7 million in economic impact for Salt Lake City.
"We are extremely pleased to welcome USA Fencing and the 2017 National Championships and July Challenge to Utah, The State of Sport," said Jeff Robbins, president and CEO of the Utah Sports Commission. "Sports are key to Utah’s culture, and are a significant economic driver for our state. Having the world’s largest fencing event come to Utah will positively impact our economy, and provide a wonderful opportunity for our community to watch world-class fencing in our own backyard."
Recommended Stories For You
Salt Lake City has played host to several major USA Fencing events in recent years, including the 2012 Junior Olympic Fencing Championships and the 2015 January North American Cup as well as the upcoming 2016 March North American Cup.
In addition to national fencing tournaments, the Salt Palace has been the home of the USA Volleyball U.S. Open Championships, the Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions, the USA Team Handball National Championships and the Triple Crown National Volleyball Championships.
Additional information will be posted at http://www.usfencing.org in the coming months.
Trending In: Sports
- No. 4 Lehi upsets top seed Park City girls soccer in first round of playoffs
- The Mine Bouldering Gym hosts USA Climbing locals and international talent
- National Ability Center’s Summit Challenge returns to Park City this weekend
- Park City cross-country teams continue to gain speed through Region 11 finals
- Park City football crowned Region 11 co-champions after win over Tooele
- Amy Roberts: LDS Church’s call for a social media fast is suspiciously timed
- The Park Record 2018 Voter Guide
- Feds indict Parkites on money laundering, drug charges
- Park City Treasure developer readies scaled-back plans should bond fail
- Guest editorial: Second-home owner will gladly shoulder burden of Treasure bond