Abplanalp to lead women’s speed program
April 18, 2014
USSA News Bureau
Veteran alpine speed coach Stefan Abplanalp has officially joined the U.S. Ski Team as head coach of the women’s alpine speed team.
Abplanalp brings strong experience to a veteran team that includes six-time Audi FIS Alpine World Cup downhill champion Lindsey Vonn (Vail, Colo.) and four-time Olympic medalist Julia Mancuso (Squaw Valley, Calif.).
"The U.S. Ski Team is an incredibly well-managed and respected sports organization," Abplanalp said. "When you walk into the Center of Excellence, the core values are clear. I admire that and intend to utilize every bit of knowledge within the organization to help these athletes succeed.
"From this culture of success, it’s up to me to build a fire within my staff that drives us to execute the best plan to help each athlete perform at their highest level in every race. It will be a challenge, but as coach I seek challenges and the potential with this group is limitless."
The Swiss born coach is already at the Center of Excellence in Park City working with athletic staff to shape his program for the 2015 season, which includes the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships at Vail/Beaver Creek, Colo.
Trending In: Sports
- Liz Swaney strives for Olympic spot
- What it takes to maintain Utah Olympic Park’s bobsled track
- Meet the Miners’ freshman swimming phenomenon and Class 4A champion
- Park City Ice Arena Zamboni driver will polish Olympic ice in Pyeongchang
- Ted Ligety has one more chance in Pyeongchang for third Olympic medal