Basin Rec’s Mountain Miles Run embraces ‘Pie and Beer Day’
July 24, 2018
Basin Recreation hosted its annual Mountain Miles run on Saturday, where runners climbed from the Fieldhouse up the RTS trail and back. The five-mile run also boasted a "Pie and Beer Day" themed event refreshment table, in a parody of Pioneer Day.
Rafe Sykes, the overall winner, said he was "just trying to get in shape."
He added that he would likely drink a couple beers later, so he was trying to burn off additional calories before celebrating Pie and Beer Day.
"I'm sure I'll sample the pie," he said.
Rhielle Widders, the first woman to finish and the second competitor overall, said she hadn't come out with Pie and Beer Day in mind, but it was a happy coincidence.
"I sort of forgot that that was the point of it," she said. "But I love root beer, especially hard root beer.
Recommended Stories For You
Is there pie here? Maybe I'll grab a slice of pie before I go home."
She said she enjoyed the run up RTS, and had especially enjoyed the downhill run to the finish.
"The course was great," she said. "It started with some nice wide paved double-track to let the field spread out before hitting the single-track. And RTS is such a beautiful trail and not very well used, so it's not that crowded in the morning. Then a downhill finish – gotta love a downhill finish."
Organizers with Basin Recreation said there are plans for adding two more similar races next season.
Trending In: Sports
- Couple gives back to Huntsman Institute, research facilities, through Pink Park City
- South Summit boys basketball defeats North Summit in rivalry blowout
- End of night skiing among changes at PCMR heading into ski season
- Prep roundup: North Summit girls keep rolling foes, South Summit girls split games
- Shiffrin says she isn’t in it for the records, smashes them anyway
- Semi-truck leads deputies on chase through Kimball Junction
- PCMR indefinitely closes two upper-elevation bowls after losing lease
- USOC selects Salt Lake City to bid on Winter Olympics
- New Canyons Village condominiums will be under Montage’s Pendry Hotels
- UDOT completes Utah’s largest wildlife crossing at Parleys Summit