Demong leads Americans on Big Hill
March 1, 2013
VAL DI FIEMME, Italy (Feb. 28) Germany’s Eric Frenzel skied to an easy gold, leading the large hill jump and putting nearly 40 seconds between himself and the rest of the field in cross country for his first medal of the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships in Val di Fiemme, Italy. Billy Demong (Vermontville, NY) and Taylor Fletcher (Steamboat Springs, CO) set a blistering pace in cross country, finishing 15th and 17th respectively.
"Today was definitely a much better jumping day for me but conditions really flipped midway," Demong said. "In the second half they lowered the gate and there was a lot of headwind. But I definitely had one of my best executions. Given a normal day I would have had a chance to ski up."
The Championships conclude Saturday for Nordic combined with the team sprint.
Trending In: Sports
- Athletes: Slopestyle course was not up to World Championships quality
- In thrilling run, Japanese moguls skier nearly pulls off double backflip (w/video)
- Star snowboarder Jamie Anderson uses World Champs podium to denounce FIS president
- Elite international competition returns to Soldier Hollow for first time since 2002
- Moose falls through basement window well, into Pinebrook home (w/video)
- Way We Were: A shocking crime in old Park City
- Anonymous tip leads officers to large teen party in Glenwild
- Park City winter driving: ‘mini avalanche’ hits road, a ‘mess’ elsewhere
- Sheriff’s report: Deposits totaling $8,000 missing from Tanger Outlets business