Devery Karz finishes third in first Rio race
August 8, 2016
Park City native Devery Karz and her lightweight double sculls partner, Kate Bertko, were supposed to kick off their 2016 Olympic competition schedule on Sunday morning, but strong winds and adverse conditions led to the postponement of the event.
On Monday morning, windy conditions again delayed the rowers from taking the water at the scheduled time. However, after a nearly three-hour delay, the competition finally began.
Karz and Bertko rowed a strong race, but the Chinese and Danish teams were stronger, earning the first and second spots, respectively. Only the top two teams in each of the four heats automatically advance to the semifinals.
The Team USA duo's time of 7:07.37 for the 2,000-meter race would have tied South Africa for the victory in Heat 3, but in the tougher Heat 1 competition, the U.S. rowers finished third and now must row in Tuesday's repechage to try to earn a spot in Wednesday's semifinals.
Karz and Bertko's time was the second-fastest time of all the boats that will compete in the repechage, trailing only Romania.
The lightweight double sculls repechage is scheduled for Tuesday morning at 5:30 a.m. Mountain time. Download the NBC Olympics app to watch live.
Trending In: Sports
- Moose falls through basement window well, into Pinebrook home (w/video)
- Way We Were: A shocking crime in old Park City
- Park City winter driving: ‘mini avalanche’ hits road, a ‘mess’ elsewhere
- Anonymous tip leads officers to large teen party in Glenwild
- Sheriff’s report: Deposits totaling $8,000 missing from Tanger Outlets business