Julia Mancuso to miss season
November 13, 2015
Olympic champion Julia Mancuso underwent hip surgery Wednesday at The Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colorado, which will keep her out of the Audi FIS Ski World Cup during the 2015-16 season.
The recovery timeline is uncertain at this point, though she hopes to be back on snow in late March. Mancuso will take a conservative approach to recovery that will set her up for success in Korea in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
"If I were to try to push through, get more treatments and try to ski this season, I would just be setting myself back towards the real goal, which is Pyeongchang 2018," Mancuso said. "My goal is to be strong enough to freeski at the end of March, but conservatively, it depends on the outcome of the surgery."
U.S. Ski Team Medical Director Kyle Wilkens said they tried to avoid surgery.
"Julia has taken a very smart approach to her hip injury," he said. "We used this year’s prep season to exhaust all conservative treatment. Unfortunately, those efforts were not successful and she has elected to go forth with surgery."
Trending In: Sports
- Park City visitor arrested after confrontation with teens dressed as zombies on Main Street
- Amid influx of nightly rentals, Park City grapples with a changing community
- Amy Roberts: LDS Church’s call for a social media fast is suspiciously timed
- 5 things to do in Park City this weekend
- Park City voters receive mailer with exaggerated Treasure details