Ligety claims GS World Cup title
March 12, 2013
KRANJSKA GORA, Slovenia (March 9) Ted Ligety (Park City, UT) shredded the wet snow with authority, winning the Kranjska Gora giant slalom and securing the fourth Audi FIS Alpine World Cup GS title of his career.
Ligety used his aggressive arcs to power down the rutted course ahead of Austrian Marcel Hirscher to win his fifth giant slalom race this season and a record fifth in Kranjska Gora. He now stands firmly in third place in the World Cup overall standings with five races left in the season.
"To win here again is incredible and I’m really proud of it," Ligety said. "It’s a big weight off my back. I had an awesome season in giant slalom but Hirscher was with me the whole season. It makes it tough going for the title. It was a head game when he was so close all along."
Trending In: Sports
- Hundreds will punish themselves at Red Bull 400 this weekend
- Alf Engen Museum to induct two Parkites into Intermountain Ski Hall of Fame
- Vail Daily: Colorado officials alarmed by steep drop in wildlife
- Park City golf is teed up for another Region 11 title
- South Summit mountain bike team grows with areas trails
- Park City begins to outline major Park Avenue roadwork
- Tom Clyde: The beef over the McPolin Farm cattle misses the point
- California man pleads guilty to human trafficking charge in Summit County
- For the Record: Do you agree with the Park City Board of Education’s decision?
- Park City attorney, skier husband arrested as hunting equipment taken