Ligety, Shiffrin named USOC Athletes of the Month
March 8, 2013
COLORADO SPRINGS, CO (March 7) The U.S. Ski Team swept the U.S. Olympic Committee’s monthly awards as Ted Ligety (Park City) and Mikaela Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, Colo.) earned Athlete of the Month honors for their stunning gold-medal performances at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in February.
The cross-country duo of Kikkan Randall (Anchorage, Alaska) and Jessie Diggins (Afton, Minn.) completed the U.S. Ski Team domination by earning the Team of the Month honor after taking gold in the team sprint at the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships.
"Our team is really strong and the results really speak for themselves," Ligety said. "It’s really cool to have this kind of depth and not just in alpine. The overall program is working really well for pretty much every program and that’s exactly what you want to see going into an Olympic year."
Ligety also won the Athlete of the Month awards for October and November. February marked the first month the U.S. Ski Team had ever swept the USOC’s monthly awards.
Trending In: Sports
- Plan for Kimball Junction re-design will be before Basin planning panel
- Marketplace: After years in the industry, restaurateur opens Hearth and Hill
- Park City wildlife carnage: After an elk collision, a roadside dismemberment
- Court report: Park City man pleads guilty to attempted obstruction of justice
- Park City wildlife collisions involve deer, mountain lion