Michael Self to join Xfinity Series
July 31, 2015
Utah driver Michael Self is scheduled to make his debut in the NASCAR Xfinity Series Saturday, Aug. 1, at Iowa Speedway in a Chevrolet entered by JD Motorsports with Gary Keller.
Self, a six-time winner in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West, will drive JD Motorsports’ No. 01 Nebraska Transport Company Chevrolet as a fill-in for regular driver Landon Cassill in Saturday’s U.S. Cellular 250 at Newton, Iowa.
Self also is scheduled to drive in several other Xfinity Series races for the Gaffney, South Carolina-based team this season.
"This is something I’ve looked forward to for a long time," said Self, 24, a resident of Park City. "I feel really ready to move up, and I’m doing it with a good team and a great group of guys. I can’t wait to get to Iowa. To become the first person from Utah to compete at the national level of NASCAR means a lot to me. Utah is considered the ‘State of Sport’ and has been home to Olympians, Super Bowl champs and pro athletes across nearly every sport, and now I get to introduce NASCAR to it."
Self won three times in the K&N West series in 2012 and scored three more wins in 2013. He finished fourth in points in 2013.
Included in his K&N experience are six races at Iowa, where he has two wins, four top-fives and five top-10s.
Recommended Stories For You
NTC — Nebraska Transport Company — joins Self, making their sponsorship debut in the NASCAR Xfinity Series this weekend at Iowa Speedway.
"We at NTC are very excited and thrilled to partner with JD Motorsports to sponsor Michael Self and the No. 01 car," said Phil Holliday, Executive Vice President of Sales at NTC. "Just as JD Motorsports and Michael Self are committed to being top competitors in NASCAR, NTC is dedicated to being the top LTL carrier in the Midwest. Our visions and values are very similar, and we see this as a great opportunity to put our two successful brands together."
"We’re looking forward to having Michael with us this weekend," said team owner Johnny Davis. "He’s a young guy, but he has a lot of valuable experience at Iowa and he’s shown what he can do. We’ll put a good car under him this week."
Self also serves as a spotter and driver coach for NASCAR K&N Pro Series East driver J.J. Haley.
Self has extensive karting experience and is a driving instructor at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah.
Trending In: Sports
- In thrilling run, Japanese moguls skier nearly pulls off double backflip (w/video)
- Park City’s Grace Donahue and twins Livi and Gabby Rockwood sign letters of intent
- End of night skiing among changes at PCMR heading into ski season
- Park City’s Leah Lange, Utes win at Citizens Series
- USA Biathlon team takes 10th in mixed relay at Soldier Hollow
- Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode (w/video)
- Park City house roof collapses, leaving scene of destruction
- CEO: Arapahoe Basin broke up with Vail Resorts over parking, long lines
- Park City police told of mountain lions in neighborhoods
- January and February storms help boost Utah’s snowpack