Nordic skiers finish year strong
March 22, 2016
The Cross Country Junior National Championships took place March 6-13 at the Telemark Trails in Cable, Wisconsin. The week was action-packed, with 375 of the nation’s best junior skiers competing in four races in six days.
The Park City Nordic Ski Club was well represented, with Sydney Palmer-Leger, Lydia Strohl, Julia Lazzaroni, Sophie McDonald (alum), Skylar Patten, Lane Myshrall, Tate Hoefler and Drew Palmer-Leger competing for the Intermountain Division in the championships.
Sydney Palmer-Leger led the way for PCNSC by landing in the top 10 in the U16 girls’ category in all 4 races. She started off the week with a 10th-place finish in the five-kilometer classic. She then continued on to win both the 5K freestyle race and the freestyle sprint. She was also a member of the sixth-place relay team.
Sophie McDonald, a PCNSC alum who now races for Northern Michigan University, competed in the U20 girls’ category. She won the 10K freestyle race and finished 10th in the freestyle sprint.
On the guys’ side, Skylar Patten notched a top-20 finish by placing 18th in the U16 boys’ 5K classic race.
Trending In: Sports
- Paralympic athletes with ties to National Ability Center bring home seven medals
- The Youth Sports Alliance looks back as it approaches its 15 anniversary
- National Ability Center Athletes participate in cultural exchange in South Korea
- Park City Ski and Snowboard opens up Soda League
- Behind the Gold: American cross country skiers are leaving a legacy