Nordic team raises funds
November 10, 2015
To bring a greater awareness of a nationwide foundation supporting aspiring Nordic skiers, a local Nordic ski team, the Wasatch Nordic Ski Academy, held a waxing fundraiser on Saturday, Nov. 7, at Storm Cycles.
Athletes were on hand to clean and wax locals’ cross-country skis. In turn, patrons were asked to make a donation to the National Nordic Foundation. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the athletes waxed more than 100 pairs of skis and raised more than $1,000 for the NNF.
"The NNF supports upper-level skiers who qualify for national and international camps and races. Between the four cross country ski teams in the area, there are actually quite a few athletes who have and will benefit from this organization’s funding," said Coach Bill Hokanson. "This is just a great way to give back, and support a great organization."
Wasatch Nordic Ski Academy athletes are looking forward to starting their season by heading to West Yellowstone on Nov. 21 for a nine-day, on-snow training camp and the season opener SuperTour races to be held Friday and Saturday, Nov. 27 and 28.
For more information on the Wasatch Nordic Ski Academy, go to http://www.wasatchnordic.org.
Trending In: Sports
- Women’s doubles luge, scheduled for Olympic inclusion, debuts in Park City
- Ashley Farquharson, Park City native, leads USA Luge’s women’s juniors
- USA Luge aims for consistency in season opener at Utah Olympic Park
- (Video) Shred for Red fundraiser combines Olympians and cancer research at Deer Valley
- Park City moves to Class 5A’s Region 5 amid concerns about UHSAA process
- Park City awaits a Friday decision on fate of Olympic bid
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Francis man arrested after shooting at two roommates, narrowly missing them