PCHS girls’ tennis wins Region 10 title
October 2, 2015
The Park City High School girls’ tennis team was supposed to play the Region 10 tournament over the course of two days, Thursday and Friday. However, the tournament, hosted by Grantsville and Stansbury, was condensed into one day because of the prediction of bad weather for Friday.
The Miners took the schedule shift in stride, earning three singles titles, one doubles title and the overall Region 10 championship.
The trio of singles players — No. 1 Livi Rockwood, No. 2 Gabby Rockwood and No. 3 Taylor Matz — have been strong all season and continued their dominance of Region 10 opponents on Thursday in cruising to individual region titles.
The big question mark for the Miners was on the doubles side. After playing two matches against Grantsville during the regular season, the singles players were 6-0 and the doubles players were 0-6. In order to win the region championship, one of the Park City doubles teams needed to step up and overtake a Grantsville doubles team.
Park City’s No. 1 doubles squad of Marina Mayo and Julianna Signor rose to the occasion, battling their way to the championship match and clinching the team title for the Miners with a victory.
For more coverage of the Miners’ Region 10 championship and a preview of the 3A state tournament, please see the Wednesday, Oct. 7, edition of The Park Record.
Recommended Stories For You
— Adam Spencer, The Park Record
Trending In: Sports
- Report shows high prices, slowing home sales as Park City buyers opt for new construction
- Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode (w/video)
- Park City house roof collapses, leaving scene of destruction
- Park City finds snowmobilers, vandals cause trouble in Bonanza Flat
- Park City child hits the slopes with surgeon who saved his life as an infant (w/video)