Sarah Hendrickson wins gold in Italy
February 22, 2013
VAL DI FIEMME, Italy (Feb. 22) – Park City’s Sarah Hendrickson out-jumped World Cup overall title winner Sara Takanashi of Japan to win the gold medal at the 2013 World Championships in Val di Fiemme, Italy.
Hendrickson’s two jumps of 106 and 103 meters, combined with near-perfect style points, were more then enough to take the title. Teammate Jessica Jerome had a huge first jump of 100 meters, placing her in sixth, which matches her rank from the 2009 World Championships. Austria’s Jacqueline Seifriedsberger was 3rd.
Lindsey Van had a short first jump of 89 meters, but bounced back in the second round, jumping 93.5 meters to capture 16th. Abby Hughes, battling some nerves, didn’t make the second round and finished 33rd.
Americans now have won two of the three World Ski Jumping Championships ever to allow women to compete. Van won the inaugural event in 2009.
Trending In: Sports
- Deer Valley scheduled to open Saturday, with $8 million in improvements
- Park City moves to Class 5A’s Region 5 amid concerns about UHSAA process
- Ashley Farquharson, Park City native, leads USA Luge’s women’s juniors
- Women’s doubles luge, scheduled for Olympic inclusion, debuts in Park City
- Deer Valley will open with Shred for Red fundraiser
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Summit County wants a larger role in overseeing Park City’s transit system
- Park City official worries runaway trucks will eventually kill people
- UPDATED: Park City-area man dies after collapsing at PCMR