Six freeskiers nominated for Youth Olympics
January 8, 2016
Six young Americans have been nominated to the freeskiing team slated to compete in the 2016 Winter Youth Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway, Feb. 12-21. The International Olympic Committee’s Youth Olympic Games offer a competitive venue for young athletes to not only compete, but also participate in a Learn & Share program designed to inspire and empower youth. The 2016 U.S. Youth Olympic Team will be formally named by the United States Olympic Committee in late January.
Leading the 2016 U.S. freeskiing team are Birk Irving (Winter Park, Colorado), who will be competing in halfpipe and Alex Hall (Salt Lake City), who will be a contender in slopestyle.
Modeled after the Olympic Games, the Youth Olympic Games debuted its winter event in 2012 at Innsbruck, Austria. Held every four years, the Winter Youth Olympic Games will feature over 1,100 athletes, ages 15 to 18, from around the world. Freeskiing events will include halfpipe, slopestyle and skicross.
Coupled with the competition, the Learn & Share program will offer young athletes the opportunity to become ambassadors of their sport through workshops and exercises based around five major themes: Olympism, Social Responsibility, Skills Development, Expression and Well-Being and Healthy Lifestyles.
Youth Olympics Freeskiing Nominees
Alex Hall — men’s slopestyle
Recommended Stories For You
Nikita Rubocki — women’s slopestyle
Birk Irving — men’s halfpipe
Paula Cooper — women’s halfpipe
Russell Malm — men’s skicross
Abigail Zagnoli — women’s skicross
Trending In: Sports
- Alf Engen Museum to induct two Parkites into Intermountain Ski Hall of Fame
- Vail Daily: Colorado officials alarmed by steep drop in wildlife
- Hundreds will punish themselves at Red Bull 400 this weekend
- South Summit mountain bike team grows with areas trails
- Park City golf is teed up for another Region 11 title
- Tom Clyde: The beef over the McPolin Farm cattle misses the point
- Park City begins to outline major Park Avenue roadwork
- Park City attorney, skier husband arrested as hunting equipment taken
- California man pleads guilty to human trafficking charge in Summit County
- For the Record: Do you agree with the Park City Board of Education’s decision?