Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame coming to Aspen
October 9, 2015
The Colorado ski community of Aspen has been selected as the 2016 site of the induction ceremony and Skiing History Week for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame. The week of April 5-10, 2016, will feature skiing, skiing-history presentations, awards ceremonies, a film festival, and first tracks with Hall of Famers. All events are open to the public. Culminating the week will be the induction ceremony honoring the Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame’s class of 2015. This special event will be held at the St. Regis Aspen Resort on April 9.
The inductees in the Hall’s class of 2015 will be announced later this month. The athletes and pioneers of the sport will be unveiled at a media and social event on Friday, Oct. 23, at the Limelight Hotel. Aspen locals Chris Davenport, class of 2014, and John Clendenin, class of 2013, will host the media event, celebrate with the community and welcome the new inductees.
"Aspen is a legendary ski town in the history of our sport," said Tom Kelly, chairman of the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame. "The Hall of Fame is proud to bring its annual induction to Aspen where we’ll enjoy a week of skiing and honor the highly accomplished athletes and pioneers of our sport."
The mission of the U. S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame is to honor athletes and sport builders for their lifelong national and international achievements in the sport. The National Ski Association of America, now known as USSA, was established in 1905 in Ishpeming, Mich., the birthplace of organized skiing in the United States. The Hall of Fame Museum, established in 1954, resides in Ishpeming as well. A national voting panel selects the incoming class in the fall of each year. In April, the class of 2015 will be inducted and honored in Aspen and ultimately enshrined the following September at the museum in Ishpeming.
Trending In: Sports
- Women’s doubles luge, scheduled for Olympic inclusion, debuts in Park City
- Ashley Farquharson, Park City native, leads USA Luge’s women’s juniors
- (Video) Shred for Red fundraiser combines Olympians and cancer research at Deer Valley
- Park City moves to Class 5A’s Region 5 amid concerns about UHSAA process
- End of night skiing among changes at PCMR heading into ski season
- Inside the snowmaking process at Deer Valley Resort (photos)
- Francis man arrested after shooting at two roommates, narrowly missing them
- Seasonal workers without housing in Park City struggle to find anywhere to live
- Park City waterworks station loses power, impacting snowmaking
- Winter Olympics: Park City, Salt Lake City seen as 2026 contingency