Softball squads descend on Park City
July 15, 2016
Softball fields across Park City, Oakley and Coalville have been busy this week as the Triple Crown Fastpitch World Series returns to the area.
A total of 89 teams from 12 states, including one team from Canada, are in Park City this week to play in 16U and 18U tournaments.
Teams began play on Tuesday in a pool format. Groups of five or six teams battled for top positions heading into the start of tournament play on Thursday.
Top squads from each group were placed in the Gold Tournament, with the remaining teams earning spots in Silver and Bronze tourneys.
In the 18U tournament, the Washington LadyHawks Blue team of Federal Way, Washington; the KC Monarchs of Platte City, Missouri; the CA Cruisers – UT of Salt Lake City; the Salt Lake Pegasus – White of Centerville, Utah; and the AZ Bombers 18U Gold of Phoenix all went 4-0 in pool play to advance to the Gold Tournament.
Teams from California and Oregon dominated the 16U bracket, as California squads SoCal Breakers of Vista, Central Coast Athletics of Monterey, Lady Magic of Pittsburg and Artesia Punishers of Lakewood all went 4-0 in pool play. Oregon squads USA Explosion of Pendleton, Blaze 16 Gold of Tigard and NW Nightmare of Oregon City all went 4-0 as well.
Recommended Stories For You
The only non-West Coast team to go undefeated in the 16U tournament was 4-0 Firecracker UT of Salt Lake City.
Saturday's 16U Gold Championship will be held at 1:15 p.m. at the Park City Sports Complex. The 16U Silver Championship will be held at 1:15 p.m. at Treasure Mountain Junior High School and the 16U Bronze Championship will be held at 11:30 a.m. at the Park City Sports Complex. The 18U Gold Championship is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Park City Sports Complex. The 18U Silver Championship will be held at 3 p.m. at Treasure Mountain Junior High School and the 18U Bronze Championship is scheduled to take place at 11:30 a.m. at Treasure Mountain Junior High. For more information on the Triple Crown Softball World Series, visit http://www.triplecrownsports.com.
— Adam Spencer, The Park Record
Trending In: Sports
- Hundreds will punish themselves at Red Bull 400 this weekend
- Alf Engen Museum to induct two Parkites into Intermountain Ski Hall of Fame
- Vail Daily: Colorado officials alarmed by steep drop in wildlife
- Park City golf is teed up for another Region 11 title
- South Summit mountain bike team grows with areas trails
- Park City begins to outline major Park Avenue roadwork
- California man pleads guilty to human trafficking charge in Summit County
- Tom Clyde: The beef over the McPolin Farm cattle misses the point
- For the Record: Do you agree with the Park City Board of Education’s decision?
- Park City attorney, skier husband arrested as hunting equipment taken