South Summit football shut out in title game |

South Summit football shut out in title game

The South Summit High School football team entered Saturday’s 2A title game at Weber State University in Ogden with a 21-game winning streak. The Wildcats had also won the last two 2A championships.

The Beaver Beavers weren’t concerned with either of those streaks, taking control of the game early and dominating the Wildcats in a 33-0 victory.

South Summit Coach Aaron Tillett said the Beavers simply had the Wildcats’ number all day.

"They made all the plays," he said. "Give credit to Beaver. We were prepared, we just didn’t make the plays today. That’s just how it happened. It was just a snowball rolling downhill and we couldn’t stop it."

The Beavers got on the board late in the first quarter via a 36-yard pass from quarterback Matthew Roberts to receiver Brennan Hutchings. Midway through the second quarter, Roberts and Hutchings connected again, this time from 33 yards, to give Beaver a 13-0 halftime advantage.

Tillett said the Wildcats didn’t feel like they were out of the game at halftime.

"We really felt like we could come out, get a stop and get things going," he said. "But credit to them again — they took the ball and marched right down the field and scored. That really set us back. We’ve never experienced that type of deficit before. We didn’t respond well and they kept pressing on the gas. They had an answer for everything."

Beaver scored twice in the third quarter, once on a one-yard run by Dillon Smith and once on a seven-yard pass from Roberts to Hutchings. Roberts scored on a one-yard run in the fourth quarter to put the Beavers ahead 33-0.

Beaver amassed 419 offensive yards to South Summit’s 189. The Wildcats possessed the ball for only four minutes and 45 seconds in the second half after dominating possession in the first half.

"In the first quarter, we had the ball for almost the whole quarter and just came up empty," Tillett said. "In the second half, it was a lot different. We just couldn’t get anything going offensively and we played a lot of defense. [The Beavers] made plays when they had to."

Running back Isaac Tillett led the Wildcats with 49 rushing yards. Quarterback Nick Beasley threw for 53 yards, but also had four interceptions. Brady Bess led the team with 16 receiving yards.

South Summit finished the season with an overall record of 11-1. Aaron Tillett said the Wildcats should be proud of what they accomplished in 2015.

"I’m proud of our kids and our players," he said. "They need to keep their heads up — we had a heck of a season. It’s a letdown [losing in the final], but we’ve got to look at the accomplishment of the entire season. What they did this season was an incredible thing. It’s unfortunate that this happened, but what can you say? Beaver is a heck of a football team. It’s not like a team that didn’t deserve it won. Beaver came out and got after us."

After losing several key seniors from last year’s team, the Wildcats will again graduate a significant portion of their production. But, Tillett said, there’s reason to believe South Summit will be successful again in 2016.

"This is the only game we lost all year in our whole program," he said. "Of course, it couldn’t be any bigger, but we feel good about our young levels. They’ll respond and we’ll be back next year and give it another run."

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.