Wasatch Nordic kicks off season
December 11, 2015
The Wasatch Nordic Ski Academy recently returned from two weeks of training and racing. First, the team headed to West Yellowstone, Montana, where it competed in its first races of the 2015-16 season.
The team left for Montana on Saturday, Nov. 21, and arrived to some incredibly beautiful ski trails. At the beginning of the week, team members kicked off the camp with a tough time trial around the 5-kilometer race course and then, two days later, they joined Far West, a regional team from California, for a skate mock sprint session.
Each day they got out early, in spite of the frigid temperatures, and skied the amazing trails that West Yellowstone offers.
Following all of the daily training sessions, the Wasatch Nordic Ski Academy participated in the SuperTour races on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, team members raced the freestyle sprints, where Jenae Rasmussen qualified for the Junior Heats and Maddie Morgan qualified for the Senior heats. Out of 75 girls (most of which were Senior racers) everyone raced incredibly hard and fast.
The next day, the team participated in the Senior and Junior freestyle distance races. The women raced a 10K and the men raced a 15K. Savannah Fassio had an outstanding race with a final rank of 42nd out of a field of 76 women. Lina Farra had an impressive finish of 54th for her first 10K race. Aidan Rasmussen also raced fast on the 5K course to finish up by winning his U16 age group.
While a portion of the team chose to train over the first weekend in December, five WNSA athletes headed to Sun Valley for the second SuperTour race held on Saturday, Dec. 5 and Sunday, Dec. 6. WNSA not only participated, but turned a few heads with its results. Maddie Morgan qualified for the Senior Sprint heats on Saturday and finished as the 28th overall female, while her sister, Sarah Morgan, qualified for the Junior Sprint heats and finished as the ninth junior female overall. On Sunday, Sarah Morgan skied the Junior 5K race and brought home a solid second-place finish.
Trending In: Sports
- Miner Jack Wright attributes signing with Westmont to golf coach George Murphy
- Park City High School boys basketball ends middling season with win
- In thrilling run, Japanese moguls skier nearly pulls off double backflip (w/video)
- Miners girls basketball finish season of slow improvement
- Biathlete Sean Doherty sets personal best at Soldier Hollow World Cup
- Updated: Sheriff’s Office investigates apparent armed robbery at Wells Fargo Bank
- Park City-area avalanche buries skier in harrowing backcountry episode (w/video)
- Summit County Sheriff’s Office leery of bill that would allow drivers to go through red lights
- Park City house roof collapses, leaving scene of destruction
- PCMR skiers caught in out-of-bounds Scott’s Bowl