Wayne Carlson inducted to Utah Hall of Fame
December 16, 2015
On Nov. 3, Wayne Carlson of Wallsburg, Utah, was inducted into the Utah USA Hall of Fame.
Many friends, teammates, coaches and family were in attendance at the banquet to honor Carlson for his contributions and accomplishments in the sport of wrestling.
Carlson was an all-state wrestler from Wasatch High School and was awarded a full-ride scholarship to wrestle at Utah State University.
Among his many accomplishments before graduating from Utah State, Carlson became an NCAA Division I All-American in 1968 at the NCAA wrestling tournaments held at Penn State University. He received the Doc Nelson Wrestling Award at the annual USU athletic banquet. He was also a finalist for the Athlete of the Year award at the USU Robin’s Awards.
After graduating from USU with a Bachelor of Science degree, Carlson continued his education while serving as an assistant wrestling coach for the Utah State University wrestling program. After he received his teaching degree in 1970, he was recruited by the Park City School District to start a wrestling program for the high school.
Carlson accepted that assignment and, for the next 17 years, coached football and wrestling and taught science, all of which influenced the lives of many young students and athletes at Park City High School.
Recommended Stories For You
In 1988, Carlson retired from teaching and continued his career as a full-time general contractor. He has continued to be able to teach and influence many young people as an employer.
Carlson and his wife, Cheri, have four children — Valerie (Shane) Anderson, Wendy Heninger, Cally (Jason) Tanner and Jeff (Rachael) Carlson — and 13 grandchildren.
Trending In: Sports
- Park City volleyball celebrates seniors by cutting loose in home finale
- The Mine Bouldering Gym hosts USA Climbing locals and international talent
- No. 4 Lehi upsets top seed Park City girls soccer in first round of playoffs
- Park City Volleyball goes 5-1 in Wasatch Festival tournament
- Park City football crowned Region 11 co-champions after win over Tooele
- Park City visitor arrested after confrontation with teens dressed as zombies on Main Street
- Amy Roberts: LDS Church’s call for a social media fast is suspiciously timed
- Sheriff’s report: I-80 pursuit ends in arrest of man from Sandy
- Amid influx of nightly rentals, Park City grapples with a changing community
- The Park Record 2018 Voter Guide