Winter season inches closer
October 6, 2015
Copper Mountain, home of the U.S. Alpine Ski Team Speed Center, has officially begun snowmaking in preparation for the 2015-16 season. Copper is scheduled to celebrate its 2015-16 Opening Day on Friday, Nov. 6, to coincide with the Putnam Investments NASTAR Pacesetting Trials and the annual Nature Valley First Tracks celebration. In addition to ensuring a solid snow surface for early-season guests, snowmaking resources are focused around the Speed Center.
The festivities on Nov. 6 will kick off with the NASTAR Pacesetting Trials. Headlining the national pacesetting trials will be Olympic gold medalist Ted Ligety (Park City), along with an impressive list of both current and former U.S. Ski Team athletes, including World Champion Daron Rahlves, two-time Olympian Kaylin Richardson, World Championship medalist AJ Kitt, Olympic gold medalist Diann Roffe and others.
During the annual First Tracks celebration, the full U.S. Alpine Ski Team roster will be announced with Olympic gold medalists Ligety and Mikaela Shiffrin (Eagle-Vail, Colorado), the most successful female ski racer of all time, Lindsey Vonn (Vail, Colo.), and rising stars Jared Goldberg (Holladay, Utah), AJ Ginnis (Vouliagmeni, Greece), and Paula Moltzan (Lakeville, Minn.), among others, expected to attend.
This free pep rally kicks off the ski season and gives fans a chance to cheer on the team and explore #WhatMakesAChamp while sending their favorite athletes off to Europe for the 2015-16 season in style.
Trending In: Sports
- Cross-country venues and businesses up and running in Summit County
- For Tara Geraghty-Moats, Nordic Combined Continental Cups have been a long time coming
- Couple gives back to Huntsman Institute, research facilities, through Pink Park City
- End of night skiing among changes at PCMR heading into ski season
- Prep roundup: North Summit girls keep rolling foes, South Summit girls split games
- PCMR indefinitely closes two upper-elevation bowls after losing lease
- Semi-truck leads deputies on chase through Kimball Junction
- New Canyons Village condominiums will be under Montage’s Pendry Hotels
- Vail Resorts awards grants to 35 nonprofits, announces PCMR improvements
- Marketplace: We Norwegians comes to Main Street